Wednesday, December 31, 2014

It's about time...

As per usual, it's been a few month since I last posted. And can I get more cliché than posting on New Year's Eve to talk about my goals for the next year? Maybe if I had a Pumpkin Spice Latte in hand and was listening to Shake It Off for the umpteenth time.

Anyway, 2014 in review:
-Turned 21 years old
-Spring Sing directing, a.k.a. four weeks of hell on earth but totally worth it
-Summer internship in San Francisco
-Moving into a new house with six other guys
-Lots and lots of reading
-A variety of concerts and movies and good books

So while it wasn't the most thrilling year, it was a really great one, and a year of growth. I feel older now, in the best way possible. Next year I will be graduating and who knows what will happen after that?! (Hopefully spend a year abroad...Ireland, maybe?).

I don't really like making resolutions because I never keep them. But I will make a few New Year commitments.

1. Keep reading. If you know me, you know I always have a book in hand. In 2015 I want to read more diversely. I'm not much for non-fiction, so I'm going to push myself to read more of it. Also short story collections. (Books I loved this year? Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng, The Opposite of Loneliness by Marina Keegan, and Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel. If you want more, just ask!)

2. Find new music. I want to find a new album every week and listen to it from start to finish. If you have recommendations for up-and-coming artists or old favorites, let me know!

3. Send letters. I did this a little bit in 2014 and really enjoyed it! If you want to exchange letters and pictures or drawings the old snail mail way, let me know!

4. Blog more? I'm really bad at this stuff, but I've been also meaning to get into writing in general more (poetry, short fiction, essays, etc.). I'll try, that's all I can say!

5. Enjoy the moment. Each and every one of them. Try new things. And say 'yes' a bit more.

These are my simple, non-restrictive New Year commitments. Tell me yours! Let's try and keep each other accountable.

I hope everyone had as great a 2014 as I did, and here's to a new start tomorrow!

Until next time,
Max

No comments:

Post a Comment